Tuesday 7 October 2014

THE PROMISE OF MUSON FESTIVAL 2014 (2) - DURO IKUJENYO

Can you give us a brief background on yourself?

My name is Duro Ikujenyo. I used to be Fela’s pianist in the late 70s and I am going to be working with the MUSON Symphony Orchestra to score the beginning and the end of Fela’s music.

How has it been like so far working with musicians from the younger generations?

Well, I was invited to be part of this while I was playing in Bogobiri. The younger generations, have always been my focus because we have to hand over to these young musicians. And since they look up to us and our works, we have to encourage them in their passion and profession.
I even sent some of my musicians here to get trained because this is a unique place where music is properly studied and also performed the way it has never been. That is how much I believe in the musicians that come out from this place regardless of their age.

How has your opinion about the new Artistic Director been shaped since you started working with him?

I started working with the new Artistic Director about three weeks ago so I could score a bit on this music. It was a challenge at first and I’m so happy and proud of myself that I scored this music in spite of how challenging it was. He is a professional brother and I feel with him a lot of development will come into this place. What they are doing today with Fela is the highest anyone has ever done with Fela’s music and that is the growth and development I was talking about.

What should the audience expect on that day?

I am very happy to the part of this and I am very sure they would be happy as well. They would be inspired through this music and others they’ll hear throughout the festival. So they should expect to be satisfied.