Tuesday 7 October 2014

THE PROMISE OF MUSON FESTIVAL 2014 (4) - OLABANJI JUDE

“Our audiences will be pleasantly surprised”

Give us a brief background?

My name is Olabanji Jude and I am the Principal Cellist even though I prefer referring to myself as a Cellist. I have been with the MUSON Symphony Orchestra for three years now.

What should people expect from the festival this year?

Our patrons and audiences should expect to be pleasantly surprised because we are bringing them home.

What’s your opinion on the new Artistic Director?

Preparations for the festival has gone underway and we are trying to move from the usual things that people would ordinarily expect from Classical music; we are trying to bring in a bit of of African music from Nigerian music legends to show the world that we can also use instruments like the Mozart to play our own music. I ascribe this positive change to Mr. Tunde Jegede. He is a fantastic and multitalented musician. I have worked with him some two or three years back in Abuja before he came to be a part of MUSON. He is a very well trained musically inclined individual and he plays the Kora as well as the Cello. We are already feeling the impact of his vast knowledge and talent.